Established in 1999, one of the flagship self-financed institutes of Gujarat Law
Society, S.M. Patel Institute of Commerce (affiliated to Gujarat University, Ahmedabad)
is a premier institute imparting UG & PG programs in Commerce. Since then the
endeavour has been to create a b academic environment through a serene ambience
and remarkable infrastructural facilities.
SMPIC fosters well balanced and multi-dimensional personality of students, encompassing
intellectual, physical, moral, emotional and aesthetic aspects. The institute’s
philosophy has been to develop leadership qualities through not only classroom teaching
and learning but also equally importantly through participation in co-curricular
activities and social and community work. “Let the light of knowledge brighten
every nook and corner of the education edifice and let the power of youth triumph.
Let us mould minds and shape careers of the youth…” This quest for
excellence is reflected in the number of prizes won by SMPICites in academic, sports,
cultural activities and competitions held at the inter-college and university level.
Dedicated to providing quality education in a fully-integrated, multicultural environment,
SMPIC has the distinct status of being enlisted in the list of Best colleges in
the commerce faculty of the nation in a national survey conducted by India Today,a
leading magazine in July 2011.
SMPIC offers the following
SMPIC has designed various clubs to equip the students with the knowledge and skills
required to effectively progress their career like Reading club (Vichar Vartul),
Statistics club, Management club, English club and Film club
In sports, our achievements during the year have been spectacular. The college has
produced players of and state and national repute in wide ranging indoor and outdoor
events. For proper training and grooming of the players, the college provides coaching
facilities for different games. Even within the college building, we have facilities
for indoor games like table tennis, chess etc.
The phase of transition from the world of care to a career oriented environment
can subject young minds to stress and emotional imbalance. The college has class
counsellors who help the students to cope with various problems which may hinder
their progress. The counselling sessions are interactive, unrestrained and aim to
give the students ample space to express themselves.
Collegiate Women Development Cell
SMPIC organizes preventive as well as promotional activities to motivate girl students
of the college. The CWDC endeavours to safeguard students from any harassment. The
Convenor of the cell seeks to create awareness and provide forum to discuss issues
related to women and gender-biases.
The Collegiate Women Development Cell consists of the following members:
- PRIN. DR. ASHWIN PUROHIT, CHAIRPERSON
- PROF. RAJUL GOENKA, CONVENOR
- PROF. GITANJALI RAMPAL, CO-CONVENOR
- MS. DISHA TRIVEDI (NON-TEACHING STAFF), Member
- MS. ROSHNI PATEL (STUDENT, SEMESTER 3), Member
- MS. VISHWAVARA PATEL (STUDENT, SEMESTER 3), Member
ANTI- RAGGING GUIDELINES OF S.M.Patel Institute of Commerce, GLS University, Ahmedabad
Ragging is a crime which can ruin a student’s life. It can destroy the physical and emotional confidence of students.
In recent times, innumerable students especially in professional institutes such as engineering and medical colleges
have been victims of ragging activities inside the college campus as well as in hostels. Unable to confront ragging many
students commit suicide.
Authorities of higher education have shown great concern to root out ragging in all forms in various forms, in various colleges and universities. Ragging includes one or more of the following acts:
- Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student.
- Indulging in rowdy or indiscipline activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to causes annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher orany other student.
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student.
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student ora fresher.
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students.
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person.
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student.
- Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of a fresher or any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
S.M.Patel Institute of Commerce, GLS is a ZERO TOLERANCE ZONE in the matter of ragging or any kind of indiscipline related to it.
Anyone found guilty for abetting ragging in active or passive manner or is involved in any conspiracy towards ragging is accountable
to be punished in accordance with the UGC Regulations on Curbing the Menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009 as well
as under the penal provisions enacted by the State.
The Anti-Ragging Committee consists of the following members:
- Dr. AshwinPurohit, Principal & Chairperson
- Sunil shah (corporater of Ellis bridge zone )
- R.V Desai Police Inspector (Navrangpura)
- Bharat Yagnik (Representative from Media)
- Sudeshna Hogiya, Project Administrator (Visamokids foundation)
- Bimal Solanki ,Assistant Professor (SMPIC)
- Avinash Gor
- Anushka Khetan ,Pooja Khatwani and Zeel Shah(fresher’s representative)
The committee of the college will decide the possible punishments of those found guilty of ragging at college level depending upon the
nature and gravity of offence. It can be anyone or combination of the following:
- Suspension from attending regular classes.
- Cancellation of admission.
- Withdrawing scholarship, fellowship and any other monetary or non-monetary benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in exams.
- Rustication from the institute for a certain time period as decided by the university.
- Students will be heavily fined.
- In case the institute could not identify particular person committed ragging students will be resorted to collective punishment.
As a preventive measure, it is mandatory as per Honorable Supreme Court and UGC regulations that all the students should fill in an
Anti Ragging affidavit each year. To make the process easy MHRD has developed an On-Line facilities where in every student must submit
an Anti-Ragging affidavit at the time of initial registration in the college and should be repeated every year by every student. The details
of On-Line affidavit (How to fill) are given on www.amanmovement.org.
UGC has set up a toll free Help-Line for dealing with. Any victim of ragging can ring up the toll free Number 1800-1805522 or send an E-mail to email@example.com. This Help-Line is operational round the clock.
Anti-Sexual Harassment Cell – CWDC, SMPIC,GLS University
As per the guidelines of Supreme Court, UGC, Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition & Redressal)
Act, 2013, an Anti-Sexual Harassment Cell has been constituted to provide effective enforcement of basic human right of gender
equality and guarantee against sexual harassment and abuse, more particularly against sexual harassment at work places. It has
further advised the universities to be proactive by developing a conducive atmosphere on the campus, where the status of woman is
respected and the way they are treated with. Keeping the above guidelines in view SMPIC has constituted a Committee against Sexual
Members of the Cell
The Committee consists of members of the faculty, administration, service staff and students’ representatives. The members of the committee for the current academic year are:
- Dr.Ashwin Purohit, Principal(SMPIC)
- Prof. Rajul Goenka, Convener (Collegiate Women Development Cell,SMPIC)
- Sudeshna Hogiya(Project Administrator ,Visamo kids foundation)
- Vaibhavi Nanavati(Advocate , High court of Gujarat)
- Anushka (Student representative)
The objectives of the Committee are:
- To promote gender amity among students and employees the committee believes in preventing discrimination and sexual harassment against women.
- The Committee makes recommendations at regular intervals to the Management of GLS University to elaborate and revise rules for the students to make them gender just and to lay down procedures for the prohibition, resolution, settlement and prosecution of acts of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, by the students and the employees.
- The Committee deals with the cases of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, in a time bound manner, aiming at ensuring support services to the victimized and termination of the harassment.
- The Committee recommends appropriate punitive action against the guilty party to the Management.
Procedure for Approaching Committee
The Committee deals with issues relating to sexual harassment at S. M. Patel Institute of Commerce, GLS University. It is applicable to all students, staff and faculty. A complaint of discrimination or sexual harassment may be lodged by the victim or a third party. A written complaint may be addressed to the Convener of the Committee. If the complaint is made to the Management, Principal or any of the Committee members, they may forward it to the Convener of the Committee against Sexual Harassment.
Here it should be noted that according to the Supreme Court guideline Sexual harassment can be defined as "unwelcome" sexually determined behavior (whether directly or by implication) as:
- Physical contact and advances
- Demand or request for sexual favors
- Sexually colored remarks
- Showing pornography
- Other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature. (Vishaka judgment by Supreme Court)
The following is also sexual harassment and is covered by the committee:
- Sleazy remarks
- Jokes causing or likely to cause awkwardness or embarrassment
- Insinuation and mocking,(an allusive or oblique remarks)
- Gender based insults or sexist remarks
- Unwelcome sexual overtone in any manner such as over telephone (obnoxious telephone calls) and the like.
- Touching or brushing against any part of the body.
- Displaying pornographic or other offensive or derogatory pictures, cartoons, pamphlets or sayings.
- Forcible physical touch or molestation.
- Physical confinement against one's will and any other act likely to violate one's privacy.
The cell strongly believes in the security and well being of women and retributive action will be taken against the person found guilty. Girls are advised to register themselves with www.policeheart.com and helpline no. 1091.
GRIEVANCE REDRESSAL CELL
S.M.Patel institute of commerce is always very keen in solving students’ grievances. Grievance Redressal Cell is functioning in the college with the following objectives:
- To provide an exclusive platform to students to forward their grievances either in person or in writing.
- To provide safe and conducive environment to students.
- Principal Dr. Ashwin Purohit (Chairman)
- Prof. Rajul Goenka (Convener)
- Bimal Solanki (Member)
- Dr.Kavita Dave (Member)
- The Committee shall receive the application/complaint from student.
- Committee shall study, analyze and submit its recommendations to the convener within 15 days from the date of receipt of application/complaint.
- The recommendation submitted by the Grievance Redressal Committee shall be viewed and considered by Convener. Convener may consul its members if required before taking a decision and disposing of the Grievance/Petition.
- The grievance needs to be redressed and disposed off as soon as possible however not exceeding 30 days from the date of receipt.
- The Convener will communicate the decision to the student within one week of committee’s decision.
- If the concerned student is not satisfied he/she can approach to the chairman within one week from the date of communication of action to him/her.
Students’ progress is closely monitored and reports are sent to their parents after
each college examination.
The library provides a high standard of learning resources for students. A reading
room is also provided. A plush and well developed auditorium is available in the
campus to conduct seminars and other programmes. The college has a well-equipped
computer laboratory with updated software along with internet connectivity and audio-visual
aids. The college has an independent Ladies room with necessary facilities. Girls
can avail of it in the event of their being free.
The institute stresses on all round development of the students by encouraging participation
in other activities and programs besides academic pursuits with an aim to build
self-confidence and bring the student’s latent talent to the fore. The college
conducts workshops by experts to prepare the students for various activities. Cultural
activities include fine arts, theatre activities, dancing and singing competitions,
literary and intellectual events, management games, exhibitions, inter-college debate
competition, selection of ‘Best Speaker of SMPIC’,Indradhanush-a cultural
festival, fashion show etc.
At SMPIC we believe that knowledge and its application to the needs of business/commerce
is vital for success in today’s rapidly changing world. We therefore promote
and encourage b links with the business community through visits.
Prism-a College Magazine
Prism, a college magazine, by the students, for the students and of the students.
Prism provides an opportunity to the students to unleash their creativity and different
skills like designing, marketing, event managing etc.
Under the title ‘Prayas’, the institute along with the students carries
many charity projects, like providing free coaching to the underprivileged students
of higher secondary free of cost at Sanand, visit and distribution of kits to the
Children’s Cancer Ward in Civil Hospital, visit to the old age homes, distribution
of water-filters, celebration of 31st December with 300 students of nearby
Municipal schools, etc. SMPIC has furnished unprecedented examples of charity to
the Tsunami victims of Kerala, to the flood victims of Surat.
Our students remain associated with us for lifetime. The Alumni of SMPIC hold distinguished
positions in almost all the spheres of society. The alumni association pursues activities
to strengthen the bond of the alumni with their alma mater.
What makes students dream of being SMPICITEs ?
- Certified ISO 9001:2008for being an excellent academic institute.
- 21 full-time, Expert, Enthusiastic and Dedicated Faculties: highest among all the
self-financed colleges affiliated to Gujarat University.
- Nearly 100% results at the University examinations.
- Special emphasis on Extra Curricular, Social and Charitable activities.
- Glorious achievements in almost all the inter college sports and cultural events
at and national levels. Awarded the title of the ‘Best College’
at ‘Josh’ cul-fest and won a cash prize of Rs. 51,000 for three
- SMPIC crowned “The Best” in Talent Hunt organized by Ahmedabad Mirror
- the city’s biggest inter college Talent Hunt for the students across Ahmedabad
- Assistance for excellent placement.
- Continuous guidance and counselling for Professional courses and higher studies.
- Short term Vocational courses for Professional development.
- SMPIC encourages the students to think beyond the boundaries of curriculum, experience
a holistic approach to Education for Life.
- SMPIC trains the students to not only be qualified professionals but also a responsible